Wednesday 2 March 2011

Hang on, a change will do you good!

Change is good, very good actually, change you find in your pocket is even better I love finding £2 coins at the bottom of my bag or those little beauties that have slipped through the lining of your favourite jacket and you try all day in vain to get them out and in the end, in an act of desperation you take a pair of scissors and ponder cutting a hole just to get this change.

Maybe that’s just me BUT anyway the change I’m referring to is healthy change like a wave of refreshment rushing over you, invigorating and inspirational and more often than not unexpectedly.

Today after having a long weekend (and well deserved) break from things I came into work feeling rejuvenated (I’m near enough using my entire R vocabulary here to try and impress you, recite, regress, record, revisit, redo, rewind etc etc that’s about all I know actually).

That was until I took in my surroundings fully, the backroom was piled full of donations even blocking the fire exit that was obviously my first concern and dealt with it before anything else.  The shop floor was nothing how I had left it and everything seemed so out of place and out of sorts including me. I came in a little bewildered. It was shopageddon.

It was all hands on deck from the word go, luckily I had arrived early so I could sneak off to the local bakery and grab my self a sausage butty and a latte. Funny thing is I don’t drink coffee at home its like a cosmopolitan thing it looks cool to be seen carrying coffee in a cardboard mug right? Eco friendly. I’m quite a fan (not necessarily an active campaigner) for re-using and respecting the natural environment and order of things and also consume fair-trade goods where-ever possible. I guess I feel a little less guilty for getting drawn into the world of materialism and lifestyle trends we often associate ourselves with. 

This is one of the reasons I love working in a charity shop in a way its like recycling peoples lives, whether its when they have a kitchen clearout and donate entire colour schemes of  matching accessories or their last years wardrobe. The beauty of the now is “everything goes” or so it seems so nothing is dated because there is such a love of vintage inspired goods something I am very passionate about, there is always a wave of new designers re-creating past decades so your always guaranteed to find something unique and current in a charity shop, especially ours ;-)

If a charity shop is not also representing environmentally friendly guilt free shopping I don’t know what is!

Back to change. The way I operate is if I find myself in a situation where for example I don’t know where to start I have to change it, I take sections by sections strip them and re-build. For example I’ll start with the windows, strip, clean, re-dress, use a colour scheme and update. Today with two of our longest standing volunteers (Mary and Gerry) we all mucked in and gave the shop a really good tidy and re-merchandised. We put all our best stock on wooden hangers, got some little luggage tags and hand wrote little descriptions of the items. I monitored this and we sold quite a few items just by moving and creating a type of boutique feel to some of the clothes. Which proves change is good, it fools people into thinking they are looking at something new which in turn results in them seeing it in a new way!

You sometimes find people don’t like change, they oppose it, they are threatened by it but I , I welcome it either way they notice it.

No comments:

Post a Comment