Friday 4 March 2011

Get well soon love!

Charity shops as I have said before are usually run by a manager and an assistant manager but also interestingly by its volunteers, they are essentially the backbone of the shop. I have known other charities that rely solely on volunteers. The incredible act of giving up your time and knowledge to offer it free for a good cause. You do rely on them and this is never proved more true than when they call in sick.

Everyone gets ill at some point even I get ill, people think I’m immune/immortal and if my face is not shown they demand to know where I am. I call them my public and I love them back.

Volunteers, do as a rule phone up on the day of their sickness but sometimes I suspect an organised poorly day event when all your staff are ill together, it can feel like that sometimes and it happened to our deputy last week, you can feel let down but it’s a part of life. Because volunteers  are not paid staff you should respect them and understand although they are very generous with their time other things can take priority which is why you constantly as a manager, need a plan of action and the ability to re-shuffle and prioritise. I personally, have very rarely had to “let-go” of a volunteer but it does happen and luckily we have some great staff.

I once had to let a girl go who caused a few problems in the team I didn’t get good vibes from her. It can be destructive in a small team when success relies on working together, team being the operative word here.

I’ve taken part in team building exercises before and stand on the fence, not literally, about them although they are entertaining and a giggle.

Anyway I always wish my volunteers “get well soon love” and keep in regular contact with them so I know when to expect them back and if they need any extra support. That’s just how I roll :)

No comments:

Post a Comment