Wednesday 8 February 2012

Second Hand Illness

Today I feel ill. I sometimes wonder if everything we get donated in is actually visible. What I mean by this is sometimes I think maybe people donate their germs. My immune system must be pretty stable and well stocked seeming as though I’m coming into contact with the public every day and their donated belongings.
We steam the clothes after hanging them to make them look presentable and I think it must release some allergens. I always get allergens, endorphins and dolphins mixed up I don’t know why as they are nothing alike.
I am definitely more sensitive to sprays and fragrances than I used to be but this is the same in any place you work, for example if you work in an office you are technically inhaling everyone’s recycled oxygen through the air conditioning unit. Same difference really you can’t hide from micro organisms, neither can you see them - they are sneaky devils!
Anyway onwards and upwards as my Gran used to say. We're not doing too bad here at the shop steady with fits and starts (another one of my Grans old sayings) we can be quiet and then it’s like a coach trip arrives.
The recent snow has had a funny effect on people they all seem hyper and incoherent, babbling wrecks muttering useless jargon everywhere I really don’t know what’s going on, is there something in the snow?
On the way to work a lorry had lost its load and caused massive delays, daredevil  1.2 Corsa drivers overtaking in freezing fog and people walking their dogs (without tartan check coats) at 6am - has the world gone mad? Admittedly I do like snow and have enjoyed walking in it, it just can be a pain travelling in it and I think that’s why I’m ill, I have exhausted myself by walking. 
It’s also been my birthday this week so I’ve had a lovely white snowy birthday I will not disclose my age as it is getting painful but let’s just say everyone here at the shop has been lovely and remembered and made real efforts with homemade cards and wine (not homemade shame I hear it’s very potent!!) and even some of our customers have brought in cards.

We sell quite a lot of craft, card making and textile books for bustling crafty fanatics and sometimes they bring in their creations for us to sell - for example a customer with disabilities makes us beautiful homemade cards to sell in our shop and they sell very well. It’s a real pleasure to be able to offer this service and sell them in our shops to make money for a great cause, a real endorphin moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment